Thursday, May 31, 2012

Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh? & French Quarter For Your Thoughts - OPI

Hi folks!

I've got a couple of nice neutral polishes to show you today. I'm just less than two weeks out from exams so the easy to apply, easy to photograph polishes have been popping up a bit more.

The first one I have to show you is 'Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh?' from OPI's recent Holland Collection.


Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh?, OPI Holland Collection, swatch
'Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh?' is a nice camel/beige neutral crème. At first when I applied this, I wasn't in love as I looked pretty ghostly white, but I got used to it and ended up loving it.



Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh?, OPI Holland Collection, swatch
I love the elegant simplicity of these types of shades. And so work-appropriate.




Next up, 'French Quarter For Your Thoughts' also by OPI. This polish came from their Touring America collection, released for Fall 2011...



French Quarter For Your Thoughts, OPI Touring America, swatch
I didn't realise just how close this colour was to 'Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh' until just now I put the bottles side by side and they look the same! On the nail they are actually quite different though. 'French Quarter For Your Thoughts' is an ever so slightly yellowed grey. I always thought this was a really clean grey but it's not quite.



French Quarter For Your Thoughts, OPI Touring America, swatch
I only have a mini bottle of 'French Quarter For Your Thoughts' and I could not make my fingers look right so I'm just holding Essie 'Good To Go' here. In indirect light, it looks much less like 'Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh' and much more grey.



'Did You 'Ear about Van Gogh?' is fairly easy, formula-wise, as far as neutrals go. I needed 3 thin coats. It's actually fairly opaque after two coats, but the third was needed in order to smooth everything out.
As for 'French Quarter For Your Thoughts', not so fun. I think this is solely due to the fact that it's a mini bottle and, therefore, has a ridiculously small brush. I'm not super experienced with these wee brushes so I couldn't seem to load enough polish on to the brush and if I did get enough on there, the polish seemed to pool at my cuticles. The moral of the story is that I'm pretty sure for a regular bottle, 2 coats would suffice, but for my silly bottle, three was needed to get it smooth and even.
For both of these I used a-england's 'The Knight' underneath and Essie 'Good To Go' on top.

2 comments :

I love hearing all your comments and I read them all! Please don't leave links in the comments section, but if you want me to see your blog, email me the link and say hi :)